Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Right Thinking

Well, I started back to work today, to inservice.  And though it was hard to get up and go earlier than I had all summer, I was thankful to have a job in today's economy when so many are looking for work.  The day was filled with thoughts and theories about the direction the school year would take.  I am always optimistic as the year begins and was reminded of the story below.

RIGHT THINKING
One day as I was headed home after having dropped a friend off at his house, I had to go through the four way stop at the corner of College and Prairieville Streets.  Anyway, just as I got there, three other cars arrived simultaneously.  We all stopped at the exact same moment. So, none of us knew what to do.  Within seconds you could see the confusion and irritation begin to simmer.  I imagined each one of us trying to remember what the driver's education manual said about the vehicle to the right having the right of way... and thinking from which corner does "right" commence.
Then all at once we realized that all four of us had turned on our turn signals and that we were all making right turns!  It was like a chair reaction of relief.  I saw the tension leave the shoulders of the other drivers in a kind of visual sigh.  No one had to be first.  No one had to be faster.  I couldn't keep from smiling a little.  No one could.  It was a beautiful small moment, and I was reminded that many of the things I worry about never come about at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment