Monday, August 3, 2009

Jettatura

This is a link to an interesting writing assignment.  It is really helpful for writers who are blocked.  If it helps you break through, I would love to see the resulting poem.

 

http://mypage.siu.edu/puglove/twenty.htm

 

I am pasting below a poem I wrote using this process.  You would never guess that from looking at the final draft because it underwent lots and lots and lots of revision.  Still, it is a great tool.   Very useful for stirring up the gray matter.  

Thanks Jim Simmerman.

 

JETTATURA

(published in Ginosko Literary Journal, February 2008)

 

If I could watch you with my eyes closed,

I would know more how you move.  But I am

blinded by your sweep of arm, my good

intentions falter, and I forget

the words.  As though balanced on toe

on a rickety white chair,

I posture and prance, then

dive,

knowing this

is my last possible chance

to keep

from

falling.

 

Behind this desperation in my eyes,

I am learning to fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment