Thursday, August 20, 2009

Burning Away the Blues

With school starting back, this painting seemed like an appropriate image to share.  And I guess the poem I have chosen to include today, which is one of my older ones, could be considered a back to nature piece.

Then, if you haven't already, be sure to scroll down to my previous post and click the play button.  I made this avatar at www.voki.com.  I have a lot of fun using my "talking head" to tell my students things for which I don't want to take responsibility.  I already have one waiting to tell them about the upcoming test on their summer reading...

BURNING AWAY THE BLUES

The best cure

is to sit bare-assed

on the porch

 

before the reds take over,

before the yellows burn away

the fog from dependable fence lines.

 

As the bottom of your coffee cup rises

wet and shimmering like a full moon in degrees,

learn the secrets of the morning…

and hope the neighbors understand.

 

1 comment:

  1. Cheryl, I admit that I don't always understand your poetry, but this has always been one of my favorites...and I totally get it!

    ReplyDelete