Friday, November 27, 2009

Shoe Leather and Pleasant Weather

When the weather is nice, I like to walk to my studio instead of getting my car out.  It is about a mile and a half, so the two-way trip is just the right amount of exercise.  Better for me and better for the environment.  The trick however, is getting there without too many offers of a free ride from friends and strangers.  Especially strangers.

A lot has to do with wardrobe selection.  I have discovered that if I wear my ‘painting clothes,’ which make me look perhaps a bit too grubby, I get way too many sympathetic looks.  And it just seems wrong to garner anything even remotely resembling charity when I am not truly in need.  It also seems to be important to wear sensible shoes, not only for walking comfort, but to give the appearance that I am in charge of my journey.  It is as though a solid shoe with anything close to a tire tread for a sole keeps people at bay… somewhat.  And sunglasses seem to help, too.  Never make eye contact.

Well, never say never.  I was also reminded today that it is important as a pedestrian to be very much aware of vehicles backing out into traffic.  And I learned that it doesn’t matter how long you stand near the rear bumper of a pick-up truck, until they actually acknowledge your existence, it is not really safe to proceed behind them.  Sidewalk or no sidewalk.

And that is another issue for me.  Who is responsible for the design and paving of sidewalks in this town?!?!  Anyone who has walked more than a hundred yards knows that if you are on a sidewalk, it is sure to disappear suddenly, and not always at an intersection, only to reappear on the opposite side of the street.  Maybe.

So I pick my way across town, avoiding major intersections, jay walking by necessity, leaping puddles, kicking leaves, and trying to stay away from dogs, even those behind fences, because I don’t really trust some of those fences to keep the dogs contained.

And though my studio is only a block north of the courthouse lawn, yes, I usually circumnavigate the square, because I find it slightly dangerous that no one ever seems to come to a full halt, and mildly insulting that even though the traffic signals are set on a timer, pedestrians are still provided with buttons they are supposed to push to get the light to change in their favor.  People, these buttons do nothing!  And even though I am in danger of sounding like some sort of activist, I can’t help but wonder how much nonfunctioning buttons cost!  I mean, it isn’t like someone just painted a dot on a light pole.  They are very convincing, resisting the pressure of an index finger just enough to make you think a pulse of electricity is indeed on its way to the little blinking walking man that will eventually appear on the pole across the street to let you know it is safe to walk.  And let me caution you that it is not safe to walk, because almost no one acknowledges the right of way of a pedestrian when they are turning right!

To be honest, I don’t know if the buttons are even still there.  I have been avoiding the square so long, that they may have been removed.  Which makes me wonder how much it costs to  uninstall a fake button?!?!

Contrary to the apparent incendiary mood of this blog, I am not inflamed every step of every trip I make to and from the Image Warehouse.  I use the time to think and to not think, (pardon the split infinitive…) whatever the mood requires.  And I so love this time of year between Thanksgiving and Christmas!  Especially when the weather is so unbelievably gorgeous.  I am spending the evening cutting paper strips so I can finish my collage/painting this weekend.  Life is good.  (And no, it is not just the tryptophan talking…)

No comments:

Post a Comment