Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Flinging words at the page

I have run out of paintings to post with my poems.  I have a few that I haven't photographed, and I am working on a new one that is constructed of 1/8 inch wide strips of paper cut from the text in Interview magazine.  It may take me the rest of my life to finish it...  Meanwhile, two poems containing the word "fling..."

ANGELS TRAVELING TO THE HOMELAND

sometimes I long
to do nothing more exciting
than wear a hat, 
study the tax code,
and wait for visions.

sometimes I put on my pink pants,
daring to dance around the edges
of the social scene, managing to fling myself
through life as though through 
the temptation of a plate-glass door, 
demanding more
than the typical shatterproof woman
has any right to.

but behind my ribs,
behind the cage of these silent bones,
I am filled with dazzling words,
vibrant, colored threads of sound.

at night I am vocal,
tying random images together,
but in the daytime I bend,
and when I contemplate the end of being,

I forget taxes,
I forget pants,
I forget words.


STILL

Between the caring and the not caring
it is the fluctuation that makes life hard.
One sets the stage for disappointment,
while the other lets the necessary energy leak out
slowly, until movement becomes impossible.
Swinging like a pendulum surely winding down,
we eventually end up stymied, barely pulsing
near the center, in that static phase,
perhaps what we wished for 
when we craved contentment in the first place.
Full circles.  Empty hearts.
And we blame it on hormones,
and things that happened to us as children.

I've tried to build strength,
tried to brace myself against sudden drops in altitude.
But I seem to have a crack in my breastplate, 
a small opening where my good intentions seep out
quite unnoticed till I need them
with the desperation of a bleeding hand.

I feel as though I have written this before.
Nothing new to say, no revelations,
no new sensations,
yet I follow the string, and like song lyrics
thoughts flow down the page
willing themselves to become art.
Filled more with stop and start than meaning,
lines gain momentum until I notice their accumulation.
Then my hands try to be still.  Try to be still 
when you're churned up inside.  Not easy.

My hands flutter like birds.  They want to fly.
They want to leave their shadow ciphers on the ground
to be found centuries later and marveled over.
But these words are temporary
and I probably won't print them out.
I won't spring them on the world
anymore than I will fling myself over the edge.

I worry that such writing sounds like the whining
of a pitiful dog.  Devoid of beauty and voice,
only sentiment remains.  But sometimes it seems okay
to write about unimportant things,
like the way the sun shines 
on the girl's hair in the window of the coffee shop
and the fact that there stands a pyramid of oranges 
off to one side. 


No comments:

Post a Comment