Sunday, September 13, 2009

Anticipating the Fall

Not much blogging lately.  Today I am just enjoying a rainy day and the ambient sounds of football from the T.V. in the other end of the house.  So maybe just a rainy poem today... a love poem from my series titled Falling Bodies.

ANTICIPATING THE FALL

I'm amazed I can breathe.
If I wanted to reach out, right now,
don't know if I could,
don't know if I'd want to,
don't know if I'd remember how
to touch.

So, I contemplate small things
like the bubbles in my coffee and whether
they'll migrate toward the edge of the cup
predicting rain
or not.  I need to know, because,
there are days, when
wetter than circumstance,
better than drowning,
quieter than tears,
the only thing that saves me
is the rain.

How hard it is to move this way
unglazed, edging closer
to the shadows of need.

How soft when I let myself think of your face,
when a piece of mystery falls into place
triggered by who knows what freedom it must be
to just turn loose 
like a refrigerator magnet that takes off
one night from its cool, white, vertical plain
to sail across a two-toned, checkered terrain
only to be stepped on in the fading dark of morning
strangely not demagnetized at all.

The last time I saw you, it rained
and I spiraled so predictably.

What freedom
to have everything
so cleanly
taken
away.

No comments:

Post a Comment